Tuesday, July 2, 2013

My Identity

This blog was more or less created around the idea of identity. 
 
I identify myself by who I am and who I will always be no matter what: human, woman, Black, Latina...
 
 
 
...by what I am right now and love being, but have to make a conscious decision to remain as: natural, Oklahoman, following God, a high school teacher, not married (yes, this is a conscious decision), striving for justice and love, a writer, a performer, an editor...
 
 
 
...by what I love doing: a book lover, a baby snuggler, a thinker, a music lover, a dreamer...
 
 
 
...and by a couple things I know are temporary: a master's student, not married, trying to stay healthy.
  
For the purpose of not letting this be the world's longest blog series, I will narrow it down to the few identifiers I want to talk about. I have already discussed my God-following and health at length (and I'm sure there will be more in future). Over the next few posts, I will discuss being Black and Latina (or Latinegra or Afrolatina), being a woman and being natural (probably together), being a woman and being unmarried, being a writer, and being human (which will have a spiritual focus, of course).   
 
Here is a teaser quote:
"I am an endangered species, but I sing no victim songs. I am a woman. I am an artist, and I know where my voice belongs." - Dianne Reeves
 
How do you identify yourself? "Hi, my name is _______ and I am __________"???

No comments:

Post a Comment