Sunday, January 24, 2010

Supreme Court Justice?

Allow me to disclaim this blog post with these statements:
I believe in the idea of our forefathers to run this nation as a democratic republic, a representative democracy. I believe that the theory is a logical one and I believe in the process. I think American democratic failures can most often be traced back to times when money meant more than ideals (which is most of the time) and times when there just wasn't enough participation in the process to really make it work.

That being said, I was appalled last night when I was talking to my boss and he told me about the Supreme Court's decision to treat corporations like people, and therefore allow them to donate obscene amounts of money to political campaigns.
Here is a column by a Washington Post writer about the issue. In her opinion, the Court not only made a bad decision but did so with "stunning...intellectual dishonesty." It seems like she's saying they committed a type of logical fallacy.

It's not that I'm not concerned with the logical (or illogical) steps the Court took to arrive at its decision, but I'm much more just angry that they think making it legal for corporations to buy candidates is some form of justice.

I'm not really looking forward to the 2012 election cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment