Friday, January 8, 2010

This Present Moment, in love

So I don't usually post things like this, because I feel like it's easy for people to become offended or to misread what you're saying. But I couldn't help it this time.


I believe that all good and perfect gifts come from the LORD (that's Scripture; I didn't make that up). I believe that sometimes, oftentimes even, GOD will let bad things happen to people (many worry about the difference between the words "let" and "cause." I think it doesn't matter) in order for them to learn important life lessons.


If you've been reading my blog for any amount of time, you probably know that 2009 was the absolute worst year of my life. It's not to say that nothing good happened, but there were definitely far too many small crises.


Looking back on the bad things (which ended around November) with a little bit of distance, I'm able to see how they all worked together to make me a better person. I feel better about my life at this present moment than I have in several years. I feel like everything is falling neatly into place where GOD wants it and where its most beneficial to a successful, happy, and useful life. I haven't finalized the details on a lot of things, but I have a peace that tells me everything is going to continue to work out just fine, better than fine (that's Scripture too, by the way).
Praise GOD from whom all blessings flow...
--
Since that part of the blog ended up being shorter than I thought it would, I'll go ahead and say this: I am so baffled as to why more people don't base their whole spiritual journey on this Scripture: "Love the LORD your GOD with all your heart, soul, mind and strength. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hinge on these commandments."
I believe with all my heart that people get so hung up on the minor commandments and the Law that they forget, even while they quote this verse, how simple this life can be if we focus. Love GOD and love people (both of which imply a love of self) and THAT'S IT. Everything, not most things, EVERYTHING else hinges on it.


This message came home for me when I realized that I was my best self when I was loving others. I "being rooted and grounded in love" was able to see "the width and length and depth and height" of GOD's love for us. And for that reason, "I bow my knees" to my GOD. For that reason. Not because I'm scared of going to hell, or because I long for pearly gates and rivers of gold. Not because my family tells me it's what I have to do. I bow my knees because I was able to see the enormity of GOD's love. And once I saw it, I knew there was no going back. I love GOD because I was first loved by GOD.
I believe that if we show others that same kind of love, if everything we do is for the purpose of displaying that love in our actions and words, they (the masses) will come to bow their knees too.
I'm not an evangelist. I'm just trying to love the hell out of some people.

No comments:

Post a Comment