Tuesday, September 18, 2012

My Purpose

After I had been blogging on tumblr for about 8 months, God blessed me with a vision to show people what He is doing for me as I walk through life as a single 24-year-old.

Christians are called to be different and set apart from the crowd, but that doesn’t have to mean that we are weird social pariahs who don’t like anything “normal” people like. 

Singleness is not a disease.  I think everyone should stay single until they know who they are and what they want.  Dating and breaking up in a never-ending cycle hurts everyone. 

Being female does not mean being substandard - even in the Church.  Our place is different, and interesting, and misunderstood.  I want to explore it.

This blog was originally called "Christian Single Girl Swag." I didn’t create it because I wanted to remain single forever, but because that's where I was in my life at the time - trying to live the best single life possible.  It's not about waiting for or going after a man either though.  It’s about being the best I can be, living life with the fullness of God (Ephesians 3:19), and making the greatest commandments real.  “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind…love your neighbor as yourself” (Matthew 22:37-39).  I renamed it Almost 31 Women based on Proverbs 31 as the standard for what a godly woman looks like, and the 31 Status movement.  I acknowledge, though, that I’m not in a relationship or married and I don’t know how soon I will be.  I also am not perfectly in line with the 31 Status standard.  I called it Almost 31 because I am getting there.  And I want to reach out to all women who are trying to get there.  None of us are perfect, so I’m also exploring ministry through the lens of my humanity.  The point is that God is the only One perfect, the only One righteous and pure, so whatever gets done here is because of God’s mercy and grace.

My goal is never to tell anyone what to do, just to tell y’all what I’m doing and how God is taking care of me through EVERYTHING! I believe women (and men) can have swag and still be Christ-like, or better said: I can be me and still be His - and so can you! I believe we can be beautiful and still be sanctified. 

To get really blunt, I deal a lot with sex. I try to live with my heart open and my legs closed.  Too often we shut down our hearts because we misinterpret Proverbs 4:23. Too often we use sex to cure loneliness. I am all about real talk and honesty. If I give information that seems too revealing it’s because I want to be clear: God is God over every little thing - including, especially the messy stuff. 

I am a very active part of a church family - Integrity’s Voice of Victory Church in Oklahoma City, OK - where God is exalted, Satan is defeated, and Jesus Christ is Lord. I took a ministry class there, because I want to know as much as I can about how to walk out the call God has placed on my life.

I used to go to and still have a lot of love for LifeChurch.tv.  I am fully submitted to my Pastor Charles Martin at IVVC, but some of my ideas and theories were developed by Craig Groeschel at LC.tv and Pastor Danny Chambers at OasisChurch.tv in Nashville also. 

No comments:

Post a Comment